Title of picture

Lake Cowichan view from our dock.

Monday, 31 July 2017

Celebration Tour - Part 4 - Whistler, BC

Sunday, July 30th

We managed to sleep in a little this morning, not getting up until 7 am. It was somewhat cloudy, so no rush to get out and about. Ray and I did go out for crepes (yum) by 8:15 though as I was in need of a coffee fix and then back to the room to wait until it warmed up outside. On the way back to the hotel we heard a bunch of clanging of bells ... and walked up the path to see some of the Ironman Bike portion go by on the highway. We will go back up the mountain today in the opposite direction to get a different perspective and keep away from all of the crowds associated with the Ironman this morning. The road out of town is even closed until 12:30 pm.

We left our hotel at about 10 am and headed over to the Upper Village, about a 10 minute walk where the lifts up to Blackcomb begin. Again it was nice there were so few people out and about as it's still a bit chilly out. Once on the top we saw that there was nothing we particularly wanted to eat as we were still full from breakfast so we hopped onto the Peak to Peak and went across to Whistler Mountain. Good thing we'd not planned to take the Peak Express to the Summit as it was in the clouds the 1/2 hour we were wandering around. This time we also checked out the gift shop. To our surprise they had Icebreaker shirts on sale so Ray got a few replacements as some of his shirts are wearing out.

View of the Fairmont Chateau Whistler coming down the gondola.

Whistler Sliding Centre viewed from the Gondola

After stopping for a drink of water it's back down the gondola to Whistler Village and scout out for a pub with a nice patio to have a brew with our lunch. Watching the gondolas going up to the top they were all packed. Glad we went up early. Lots of things for kids to do at the bottom of the lift. A great family destination.

At the bottom of the lift there were 3 pubs to choose from and the Black's Pub was the winner due to it's large shaded patio with great views of the mountain and all the comings and goings. A great people watching post.  Food was pretty good, prime rib burgers with a garden salad for me and fries for Ray. We sampled some Red Truck Lager.

After lunch we walked down the Village Stroll and stopped for ice cream at Cows for dessert. We were able to see some of the runners in the Ironman run past us heading for the finish line. Ray and I carried on back to the hotel so we could have a few hours rest before going out for dinner tonight at 6 pm.
The bridge from the lower Viillage

Did someone see a bear!

They have the most beautiful flowers and baskets everywhere.

After a rest at the hotel ... we actually had a snooze for 1 1/2 hours. It was time to go out for dinner at Araxi Restaurant and Oyster Bar. A beautiful setting and a great viewing platform to watch the people on the Village Stroll.

Our meals were excellent. Special margarita's to start, then Ray had some oysters while I had a wonderful dungeness crab roll. (One piece is missing from the crab roll as I just could not wait!)

Next we had our mains, I had prawn and pea risotto with a seared scallop and Ray had Wagu Beef Cheeks. He said it was the best beef dish he has ever eaten. With a great bottle of red wine we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. They also gave me a small taster dessert plate for my birthday.

We walked down the Village Stroll back towards the hotel and saw the Ironman's finish line. Runners were arriving after 12 1/2 hours of competing. Wow.

We walked past this bakery suggested to us ... Ray was drooling but since we were so full, opted not to purchase anything. His mum would have loved this place!

Another fantastic day. Back to the hotel at 8:30 pm exhausted. But had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment