Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Saturday 21 October 2017

Zion National Park - Kolab Reservoir Road

Tuesday, October 17th

We had another lazy morning, Ray didn't have a good night's sleep due to taking extra pain medication for his back (it keeps him awake) so he managed to grab a couple more hours in bed. A short drive of just an hour and we would be at our next spot, so no hurry.

Once ready to go, we headed back to the I-15 and then south to Zion National Park. I'd booked us into the Zion River Resort in Virgin as I was unable to secure a reservation at the Watchman's Campground, which is right at Zion. This campsite is only 15 minutes from the park so no biggy. I needed full hook-ups anyway to do my 2 weeks of laundry. On arriving we waited about 20 minutes for our site to clear out as checkout is noon and we arrived at 11:30. This is very nice for a RV Park. Great amenities, including pool and hot tub. The sites are well spaced with a lovely green grass strip and at least one tree for shade. Of course that plays a little havoc with the Satellite Dish. Fortunately we are able to get SD channels at least so I had to change my programming for recording off of the HD channels. Each site also has a gravel area with a picnic table and a firepit. Most of the sites are large pull-throughs, but they do have some long back-ins too.


Once all set up  we went out for lunch to the only choice in town ... Fort Zion. A real touristy place, food was average and not worth the money, but we were starved and it fit the bill. They had all kinds of meat in their burgers, rattlesnake, elk etc. with prices to match so Ray had the buffalo and I had angus beef. (Ray said he would have tried the rattlesnake burger but not at $25! lol) My burger was a little under cooked but acceptable but the fries were dark in colour but raw in the centre.

The player piano was playing when we walked in, sounded pretty good.

You go up and order and then they bring you the food.
We relaxed outside in the shade for some of the afternoon while I kept up with the laundry. Sure was hot ... 84F compared to 64F at Three Peaks, definitely an adjustment, especially for me. I do not do hot!

Our campsite, at the end of the grass is at 15 foot campfire area with a picnic table. Very generous sites.
Wednesday, October 18th

It was hot overnight ... stayed 68F inside with windows open compared to 28F at our last stop ... definitely an adjustment. I think I will keep the air conditioning on tonight as I need it to be around 64F to be comfortable until I am adjusted to the heat. My plantar faciatis flared up in my right foot overnight so walking today would be too painful, so our trip to Zion will have to be postponed a day. Hopefully tomorrow after taking my meds, using ice, drinking my gin! etc I will be good to go.

We chose instead, to take the Kolob Reservoir Road Scenic Backway, the entrance is just down the road from our campsite. The first part of the road has some 14 day BLM camping in the wash next to a creek but way too bumpy for us. This 20 plus mile road takes you through the backside of Zion National Park with some spectacular views. The road winds up a couple of thousand feet in elevation and at the Lava Point Lookout you are actually looking across at the tops of Zion National Park Peaks.



Unfortunately, it was cloudy today so Ray will have to go back at sunset tomorrow or the next day for some better shots. Most of the best views are in the first 10 to 15 minutes of the drive so no problem.

Beautiful formations ... cannot wait to see them in the sunshine.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Kolob Reservoir. It seems to be quite a great camping spot for smaller rigs. The reservoir is stocked with trout and there is a 2 trout limit per day and there were lots rising. Great reflection shots today.



On the way back down we stopped to take a picture of this farm tucked in the bottom of the canyon.

Kind of like a painting.
Back home for an early lunch. I kept up with my laundry and rested my foot for the rest of the day. Around dinner time the skies cleared somewhat so Ray headed out to the beginning of the Kolob Reservoir Road for some night shots. He only had to drive about 15 minutes down the road for these spectacular shots.














A great day.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics as usual, Ray! We stayed there when we visited Zion. It was great for us because they have (or had) a shuttle to the park.

    ReplyDelete