Title of picture

Lake Cowichan view from our dock.

Saturday, 14 May 2016

We are back!!!!

After much thought we decided to share our life in a more open profile again. Ray's always concerned being on disability that we were just giving "them" all the details of our life in a blog, thus saving "them" investigation fees as we were doing it for them. He was absolutely doing nothing wrong but "they" can arbitrarily stop the disability and then reinstate it just before going to court.  He's concerned that my writing about the things we see and have done could be taken out of context without me commenting all the time about how bad Ray's pain was.  Blog readers don't want to read about how many hours he just laid on the bed or taken a strong pain killer, because he couldn't do anything after we had an unexpectedly longer drive, or went for a longer walk to see the scenery. We even switched the primary driver on the car insurance as Ray gets too sore driving in heavy traffic. We knew his back (degenerative disc disease with 3 spinal fusions) is getting worse as both of his legs now give out at times, requiring a cane when it happens.  He's been putting off getting a handicapped decal for the car, the pain level now indicated it is time. His neurologist always told him that walking is his best exercise and to do as much as he can for as long as he can as the eventuality was probably a wheelchair. Ray's nerve test with the specialist when we got back from the states, pretty much confirmed everything we knew. In two years, Ray lost 50% nerve function in his right leg and 30% in his left leg at the ripe age of 59.

With all of this in mind we decided to blog again as "they" can hardly question his lack of ability to return to any kind of work as his condition continues to deteriorate after only 5 years since his first spinal surgery. So with all of that said .... here we go.

Ray and I arrived back in Canada on Sunday, March 27th with little fanfare at the Aldergrove Border Crossing. We were pretty tired so did not plan to stop in and see my Dad until the next day. I decided that we would stop and see him early, before starting our day with setting up our campsite for the next month. When we arrived at 9:30 he was sitting there waiting for us ... Betty had been taken by ambulance to the hospital at 7am that morning having trouble breathing. He was also waiting for his breakfast to be cooked! Welcome back home. Needless to say most of the day was spent figuring out what was going on. For the whole month of March, Betty was only out of the hospital for 4 days and each time was weaker than the last. It turned out she had congestive heart failure. Anyways, most of my time was setting up full-time live-in home care for them as well as getting the household expenses being paid automatically etc. including a payroll company. Up until the end of April Betty was expected to come home. Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worst and with her daughter and son by her side, she passed away on May 7th. We are all still reeling from this outcome as it was so unexpected. Fortunately we were able to stay another month at the Peace Arch RV Park to help settle everything.

The up side is the girl I hired for Dad, her name is Larny, is like family and awesome with him so I will not worry that he is not being taken care of when we travel. The house is clean and he is dressed in clean clothes and is able to have a shower more frequently. We did not realize that Betty had been feeling ill for months as she did not share this so we could have had help in earlier for them.

Weather here in White Rock for the most part has been sunny and warm. Freya enjoyed going back to Serpentine Fen for walks as well as new to us Elgin Park in the Crescent Beach area. Peace Arch RV Park has beautiful gardens and large campsites so we are quite happy here and will return September 1st for the month before heading to the US for the winter. At present we are planning to leave on May 29th and start our journey into the Kootenays for the summer. Fingers crossed!


  1. Hi RnD! Good to see you're back on the airwaves! Enjoyed our lunch together that fine sunny afternoon a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to hear about the passing of R's stepmom; sounds like she had the best of care and went peacefully. Best regards to both of you and toss a stick for Freya for us! Cheers, Derek and Laurel

  2. Welcome home, sorry to hear about Betty and the fact that we missed you when we were in the area. Hope to catch up with you sometime this year!

  3. Welcome back!! Sorry to hear the news about Betty, however glad that you were able to secure good, trustworthy home care for your dad.

    Let's try to connect again before we all leave the lower mainland, if not, maybe we'll manage to cross paths somewhere in the interior!