Sunrise on Avalon Bay, Catalina Island, CA

Sunrise on Avalon Bay, Catalina Island, CA

Sunday 28 January 2018

Celebration of Life for Dad, January 26th, 2018

View from the deck of the venue taken from google. The hall is right on the water in Crescent Beach. Dad loved the ocean.

Well, the day that I had been preparing for the last month finally arrived, Dad's Celebration of Life event. Garrett and Kat arrived from Squamish Thursday night and Kristi and Jason arrived at 1 pm from the island on Friday, a couple of hours before the service. (Kristi came off a 24 hour call shift at 8am)



With the help of Scott and Trish, Kerri and her husband Steve,  (Betty's kids) and Garrett, Kat, Jason and Kristi, we had the hall set up in no time with the tables and chairs. Of course my "mini-me" Larny, (Dad's caregiver) and her husband were there to help as well. Once we were all set up and the caterer's had carried in all of the food, the guests began arriving at 2:30. As all of us had hoped, the rain that we had been having for days stopped, the clouds thinned and we even received some sunshine for the couple of hours of the event before the rains began again.

I was happy to see all who attended, about 45 of us. Quite a few people from Dad's work life from Weiser Locks, old neighbours and family. Dad would have been very happy to see all who came. Lots of memories shared.

My eulogy was well received. The slide show I worked on for the past 2 weeks went off perfectly. Thanks to Steve for running all of the sound equipment and projector he provided  and my son Garrett running the computer end. Everyone told me that I honoured my Dad very well. My cousin Gord gave a speech about the history of my Dad's working life as Gord started his sales career at Weiser Locks with the help of my Dad years ago. Steve told me that the 15 minute slideshow told him more about my Dad than the 22 years he had known him. :) Even my Dad's brother and wife said they learnt things about my Dad they did not know.


My Dad's best friend, Geoff Eves children, who I grew up with as they lived next door to me.  Pam, Phillip and Diane.


My Dad's youngest brother, Duncan's youngest daughter Wendy with Kristi and Jason.

Geoff's kids with our old neighbours, Vern and Helga Hoing.

Vicki Baty ... I used to babysit her years ago. 

Our best friends came from Nanaimo to support us, Janice and Gary Glover with their son Kyle.

Giving the Eulogy

My cousin Gord, giving Dad's Weiser Lock History.

Joe Woodhouse, Vice President of Weiser Division, (Residential) when my Dad was the Vice President of the Norlock (Commercial) Division

My Dad's brother, Ken and his family with  Wendy and Kerri looking on,

My son Garrett on the left, talking to his cousin Jackson.



My cousin Gord talking to my Dad's old secretary, Donna and another work buddy.

After we left the venue, my family and Betty's came back to the house where we all gathered to share more memories of my Dad. What a lovely evening. My Dad would have loved sitting here watching his family talk about him. lol We had 5 large dogs running around as well. Good thing everyone loved them. It was a very tiring  and emotional day but I was pleased that it all turned out well.


(Right to Left) Jackson's girlfriend Amber, Jason, Kristi, Jackson and Trish. In the back Steve, Kerri and Scott.

Ken, Norma and Garrett oh and Zeus

Kat, my cousin Pam and her daughter Kendra

My cousin Gord and his wife Suzanna, Ken, Garrett and Norma

My cousin Wendy snapping photos of my Dad's photo album to show her sisiters and mother back in San Francisco.
 Everyone left about 9 pm and the kids and us stayed up to about 11:30 before heading to bed. We were all still really wired.  The next morning up at 7 and the girls made us waffles and bacon for breakfast.


Garrett giving the instructions to his sister on how to make the original "Kyle" family waffles.

Saturday night, Kristi and Jason took Ray and I out to dinner downtown Vancouver to Lupos. This is an Italian Restaurant, Kristi and Ray's mum used to frequent during her university days. A lovely dinner, thanks guys.





2 comments:

  1. A lovely Celebration of Life for your Dad. It's been an emotional month for you and writing the eulogy and putting the slideshow together must have sparked a lot of tears and laughs as the memories flooded back...a very emotional month, for sure. However, also a good way to bring some closure...gone, but not forgotten. xo

    ReplyDelete