Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Wednesday 21 October 2020

First winter storm of the season! Oct 13 - 19

Overnight Monday and all day Tuesday it was somewhat gusty here on the lake but nothing like in Victoria or Nanaimo. The coastlines were pummeled with winds up to 90 km, especially in Victoria. A bunch of power outages but fortunately not here at the lakehouse. Tuesday morning Ray and I took off to Superstore for our 10am flu shot appointment. Dianne was supposed to meet us there to give her our dehumidifier we used in the motorhome but there was a rockslide on the highway around Goldstream Park so she turned back around and went home. We got home before the real rain began again and with it, the winds. The boat bobbed at the dock nicely, although we kept an eye on it. Here are some pictures from the news feed.


Tree feel on this motorhome, glad it was not us!




We spent the rest of the day hunkered down in the house.

Wednesday morning, Jason showed up about 7:30 am and the boys departed at 8am for their fishing adventure. Jason figures the fish have all gone up the creeks with the rain so it's probably an exercise in washing their gear. lol The sun is out and the wind is way down so it should be a good day for at least a couple of hours. At 6C it's way to cold for me to be interested in going. lol Yup they are "bundled up"!


They came back 3 hours later with smiles on their faces. Ray actually caught a trout fly fishing. Jason revived the fish and let it go so no pictures. Jason headed back home after their adventure.

While they were gone I finished the final pruning in the front garden and dumped the last of the planters. Ray is going to the dump tomorrow to empty Kyles Kart and we will move it to the front of the motorhome allowing room for my new upright freezer to be delivered on Friday. We also have to get the boat trailer out of that garage to load in the freezer. Lots of maneuvering. lol

The other chore that needed to be done was empty the hot tub and clean it. I used my new pump Ray bought me and it worked like a charm so I was able to empty the hot tub into the bathtub downstairs so the water went into the sewer system. This pump can also be used as a sump if we were to ever get water in the basement. Now the tub is being filled again ready for tomorrow.






Thursday morning in a bit of fog (not him, the weather), Ray headed out in the boat to fly fish near Bear Creek. I opted out as it is only 4C outside ... too cold for me. lol Could be the last time this year??? He came back cold and empty handed. Lots of fish jumping, but no takers in front of the Bear Lake river mouth.

Finally the clouds parted and it warmed up a bit around 10 am. Pat came over for coffee on our sundeck under the heaters. Nice to catch up. With all of the social distancing requirements, it is hard to see anyone these days. 

Ray worked in his shop for awhile. The rest of the afternoon we spent a couple of hours on the deck listening to the trees falling for the subdivision across the lake. They must be starting on the second stage before putting in the services, of water and sewer etc. We can see the big blue pipes on the ground over there in preparation.

Friday morning woke to lots of wind and rain. Good thing I have covers for the furniture under the gazebo as everything was wet from the wind. That does not usually happen. A good day to stay inside and do some chores like laundry. :) Waiting for my new freezer to arrive.... it came as promised at 11:30am. All 21 cubic feet of it! Now I will be able to move the stuff from the motorhome's fridge freezer to this as well as the fridge downstairs so I can find what I need a whole lot easier. All of this because of Covid and the fact that my kitchen fridge died in August and the replacement is not coming until after November 5th!



Now I can see what I have and what needs to be used first. Still lots of room should I need it. :)

Ray finally managed to get his new fence on his table saw table figured out ... took awhile maybe 3 different rebuilds! Anyways here it is! All that is left to put in it is his router and then other projects can finally be started. I am very proud of him sticking with it. Not a builder, but an accountant by trade, but he takes the time to learn new things he has not done before. Way to go Ray!


Saturday morning early, Ray went out fishing with our neighbour Darryl in his boat to Ray's favourite spot. He had one on but lost it as he had not loosened his drag ... darn. Both fisherman came back happy but cold. While he was gone I made some Apple Pull Apart Bread. Trying to use up some of the apples the neighbours donated to me ... I still have to fridge crispers full to the brim!

It kind of exploded so I shared some next door. They were very appreciative and Pat said it disappeared pretty quick. I prepped dinner as well, as we are having Beef Wellington. Yum


Apparently I am the "Best Neighbour Ever"!


Sunday morning, Ray had planned to go fishing, but Darryl texted at 6:30 am that it was raining so it was a no go. I prepped for dinner as Kristi and Jason are coming down this afternoon and going fishing with Ray tomorrow morning. A very cloudy showery day. Ray spent the day cleaning up his workshop and he finished installing his router into his table saw platform.

Finally ready to start projects. :)


The kids arrived around 4pm and I had fresh pasta, meatballs and tomato sauce ready for dinner. Pasta is one of Kristi's most favourite things. After dinner we watched a movie ... up past our usual bedtime. lol 

Sunday morning starting to clear and no rain so once the kids get up fishing is on! Jason looks like he is going camping with so much gear he is taking. :)


Off they go so just me and the dogs at home.


Here are some pictures Jason took. Ray landed a fish with his new lure. Lots of fish jumping but not biting. :) Beautiful sunrise. Kristi wearing my hat and blanket to stay warm. 


Ray's favourite fishing spot.


Jason giving Kristi some fly fishing casting instructions.


Ray caught a fish! Yeah.




Another great morning on the water for the crew. Once back home I fed everyone lunch and off Kristi and Jason went back home to Nanaimo.

Another fast week at Kyle's Kottage.

Here is a picture of Stella at 5 months old. So cute.









5 comments:

  1. Yes that storm was quite a doosy! Glad the fishing has picked up a bit...I agree with you, too cold for me too! Great job on your shop, Ray! That apple bread looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see that Ray is getting out fishing! It has to be a sad day when you drain your hot tub. We plan on getting here in the next month or so and cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too sad. After a good scrubbing I refilled it and it was all heated and ready to go the next day. :) Since we are here for the winter. :(

      Delete
  3. Sorry, late again. I didn't even realize that wind was a thing until now - Wow. We could hear it but I guess we are more protected here than I thought. That is a fantastic pic of Kristi in the blanket. I am extremely jealous of Ray's shop and that he gets to eat your cooking.... he's on my list. Ha ha ha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We pulled the boat out of the water yesterday, Sat, Oct 24, and now he will have to fish in the new dinghy for the winter. lol. So this is definitely cooking season for me. :)

      Delete