Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Tuesday 14 May 2024

Ray has his Right Knee Surgery. and Planting Season May 8 - 14

SURGERY DAY! 

Ray's lucky to be first on the slate and after 2  hours is through recovery and back in his day bed. Fairly drugged up lol with a smile on his face. His knee bend is great at this point. everyone is quite surprised with his mobility. He's ready to be discharged by 1 pm but had to wait to be seen by physio first.



Finally, the physio came at 3 pm to see Ray. I went out to Super Store and picked up his prescriptions so we were all set to go home when he finally got discharged at 4:30 pm. Our pharmacy at London Drugs is still closed due to a Cyber Attack last week.

Keeping up with his meds every 2 hours took a toll on both of us. When Ray is on morphine, he can't sleep and he's not able to take his regular sleeping pill for one night after having general anaesthetic. Made for a long night for him with no sleep. 

I made bread this morning instead of going to the store. After my bread came out of the oven, we tried for a nap at noon but no luck ... we got 15 minutes I think.

After lunch being such a beautiful day. I'm able to set us up on our front "patio" area and plug him into his ice machine to enjoy the day. I'm busy getting out the umbrellas, and checking on my front mini irrigation.

This picture just before I got out the ice machine and extension cord. lol

After an hour and a half it's time to come in for a bit, as his leg is swelling being outside in this chair and the ice machine couldn't keep up with the heat outside. (29C) Back to bed for Ray for a bit. 

With him medicated and comfy, I headed back out onto the back deck and finished planting the planters. It should be beautiful in a month.





After his lay down, we moved him out onto our sundeck for a bit. Ray enjoys being outside and it's great for his overall happiness. :)

After dinner, once I got Ray settled and the dishes done, I headed for a much deserved "moment" down on the dock. Couldn't stay too long as it's soon medication time at 7.



Friday, Ray spent the whole day laying down either on the couch or bed. His leg is quite swollen, probably from doing too much yesterday. Ankle above the heart with ice machine, managed to take it down considerably in a few hours. I watched our gardener redo seeding of the lawn. The darn birds ate all the seed last time. It rained so much, the seed floated to the top from under the top dressing. This time, he put peat moss on top of it and I have made 2 scarecrows which seem to be working.

I spent the afternoon checking on my micro irrigation to get it set just right. I did manage to sit down at the dock for 1/2 hour. I don't like being that far from Ray for too long.

Saturday, same as yesterday. lol  Another beautiful day. It's up to 29.5C yesterday, really warm for this time of year. It's too hot to plant my pots today, so I waited until tomorrow.

Sunday, Happy Mother's Day. Received a call from Kristi and Jason and a short video from our granddaughter Stella.

Ray's able to spend some time outside again today, sitting in our new front patio area on the driveway. I planted all my pots around the lawn in the back yard. 

Great scarecrow!

I also bought myself my Mother's Day present, a window box for our patio area to hold down the rug. lol.



Usually Ray takes me out for Mother's Day so I don't have to cook. Not being able to today, I decided to make it easy on myself and cooked up a pork shoulder on my Traeger. The picture below is at 1/2 time before wrapping it in butcher paper. Mouth watering lol


After 8 hours of smoking and 30 minutes of resting ... Voila! I also made a macaroni salad earlier in the afternoon, so dinner is very easy to put together.


Monday we woke to a high level fog. Much cooler today and windy. I planted the last flat of bedding plants in my front garden. Then decided to rip out the 5 dead lavender bushes. I replanted 2 other plants that seeded themselves. By 11 am I'm pooped, but it sure looks nice. Ray out doing a little deadheading for me. When the swelling is down in his leg he is able to walk without any support.


Ray wanted to get out of the house, so I suggested a drive across the lake to view the changes in the new subdivision we see from our deck. He also decided we would go for lunch at Jake's for Seniors Day. I wasn't sure that's a good idea day 5 post-op. After sitting for 10 minutes he agreed that probably he shouldn't have gone there as there's no comfortable spot for his leg. Fortunately we were first in so were served first and were out of there in 30 minutes. Back home he laid down with the ice machine 

on. 

Both of us were tired so we ended up having a nap. When we woke up the sun was out so we were able to get outside again. He has quite a good "bend" in his knee after surgery when the swelling is down.


By night time though he seems to swell up again. More ice. Thank goodness Pat loaned us her ice machine.

And so ends week one of Post Op for Ray. He starts physio twice a week next week on Tuesday.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like Ray got pampered more than usual. Glad that he is recovering, good luck with the physio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Ray did so well after his surgery. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete