Sunrise Lake Cowichan August 19 2024

Sunrise Lake Cowichan August 19 2024

Sunday 22 September 2024

Fall is here! Sept 9 - Sept 22nd.

The weather became more "fall like" with temperatures of low 20's C (70F). The clouds are starting to come in, so there's a bit of a sunset Monday night.


Our granddaughter Amelia had a lesson this past week of physics and gravity ... poor thing forgot to brake on her new bike and hit their garage door. Messed up her face quite a bit and a bloody nose. This included a bunch of tears, but she is quite a trooper. 



Looking pretty bruised, poor thing.


Fortunately after a couple of days and lots of puppy hugs, she's looking much better.

This fall, since we're not going south, I've signed up for exercise programs at the Cowichan Arena. In the meantime, Ray's got 6 weeks of physio with his new knee. He goes twice a week, Tueday and Thursdays and I go 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 

In between, I've been emptying the dock boxes and putting some of the furniture on the sundeck away for the winter. I've emptied out some of the deck planters and harvested all my mini peppers. At the end of the month, my gardener will move all the planters under the sundeck for me. 

Tuesday night brought rain, which we haven't seen much of since July 9th. Glad I put away a bunch of stuff yesterday.

The rest of the week and weekend became much cooler, but enough sun came out to be able to sit on the driveway. 

Our neighbour's friend landed on his heli-pad for a visit, 4 houses down from us. Right over Pat's house. Sure is loud!

View from our driveway.


Bye bye!


Sunday I drove up to Nanaimo for a Costco run and stopped in to see Amelia and Jason on the way back. Took them out for lunch and spent some time reading with her before heading back home. Jason made me a 1/2 dozen jars of yum yum pickles. Thanks a bunch! Back home for 2 pm to join Ray sitting outside on the driveway in the sunshine.


The rain on Friday, finished off most of the flowers in my planters so time to rip it all out. Quiet weekend other than puttering in the yard a bit.


Next I will be emptying the front planters and then next week Sean with move these off the deck for me. Then the deck can be pressure washed when Jason comes up to help me move the rest of the patio and driveway furniture into the basement for winter. 

Got to keep busy this fall, because at this time last year, we'd already left for our winter vacation in the motorhome.

I also went to a craft night at our local pub. Made a seaglass wind chime.  A lot of laughs with my table mates.


The weather's been quite warm in the afternoons, so we've spent quite a bit of time either on the driveway patio or the back deck. I had our gardener's helper, Penny, plant about 100 daffodil bulbs so I'll be here to see them next year. Notice her on her hands and knees, precisely why I had her do it. lol I did have a drill attachment to dig the holes making it easier though.

Penny

We had a "guest" perch in our front entrance again .... a bat! I wish they wouldn't decide to rest there between flights! Fortunately, with the screens Ray put up, they can't get into the very top and into the house. After fighting with them entering the house for 5 years, this year we seem to have finally convinced them to nest somewhere else. At least we have not seen the "droppings".


Saturday morning we went to an Art Show put on by our neighbours daughter Tara. All the proceeds are going to Lake Cowichan's Food Bank. 


We bought two of them lol



After we dropped Pat off next door, we headed into Duncan to visit the Farmer's Market and drop Ray's picture off to be framed. We noticed another mural we haven't seen before.


After wandering around for an hour, it's time for brunch. I started with mimosa's ... yumm.


A great Saturday. The rest of the day we spent down on the dock and out on the driveway enjoying the last day of sunshine for a bit.

Sunday, the first day of fall, sure looks like it. Cloudy and showers in the afternoon. Good day for chores and playing in my kitchen. 



4 comments:

  1. OMG poor Amelia! She sure did a number on her face. Glad it's healing quickly. Yup, fall is here already! Time to clear out all of your planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest of the planters will be emptied this week. lol Amelia is all better now thankfully.

      Delete
  2. Love the artwork you got and those mimosas! I would need a nap after drinking those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes after a full belly and the mimosa's I was pretty relaxed when Ray drove us home. lol

      Delete