Sunrise Lake Cowichan August 19 2024

Sunrise Lake Cowichan August 19 2024

Wednesday 12 June 2024

The kids come for a visit, RIP Uncle Ken, June 3 - 11th

Another week has gone by. We just puttered in our yard and garden. Ray's keeping up with his physio twice a week. On Thursday his physio told him to take a couple of days off, as he's doing too much and irritating his muscles. lol An over achiever!

The first part of the week was wet and cold, but the sun came out by Wednesdsay when Kristi, Jason and Amelia came for the day. Amelia hadn't seen her Papa since mid-April, two weeks before his surgery so is very happy to see him. It's a busy day of playing with her scooter in the cul de sac, colouring with chalk on the driveway, having a weiner roast in the back yard and playing with our kayaks on the lawn. A whirl wind of fun. We were exhausted when they left lol. I served up breakfast, lunch and dinner before they left at 6:30 pm.

Amelia's scooter we bought her so they don't have to bring her's from home.











Going down the rapids. lol







He who never naps .... Jason.


Olaf sure is getting big.

Tents in the backyard.

After a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs they headed back home. A very busy day for us. Ray's knee and back are done. Time to take a few days off. Ray did manage to get my hats mounted on the wall though. I seem to have a few. lol



Friday, Ray took his bandages off. He is healing well.



Friday and Saturday were really warm and sunny. Saturday we even had coffee down at the dock.




Later it's sitting up on the deck. My planters are coming along.


Saturday morning is our annual Strata Meeting at our house. I'm hosting, so I made a cheesecake yesterday and fruit platter. I cheated a little buying some fresh donuts from our new bakery in town. Debra, next door said this cheesecake is even better than my last one. :)


After the meeting, Ray decided to wash our car for the first time. I sat and watched. lol The first butterfly I have seen this season, landing right beside where I'm sitting.



The rest of the afternoon we spent sitting down at the dock. It's hot and muggy at 27C with no wind. Too hot to sit on our deck or the front of our house. If the water in the lake wasn't so cold, I would've jumped in.

Monday we went into Duncan for our Covid shots and for a bit of shopping. Back home for 11:30 just in time to go to Jake's at the Lake for senior's day lunch. We noticed that the lake is higher than usual and you can see it flowing right over the weir at a fast pace. We should be good for water levels this summer as it is usually down quite a bit by now.

My afternoon is spent prepping for cooking my brisket on the Traeger tomorrow. I injected and seasoned it and left it in the fridge overnight. Otherwise, another lazy afternoon sitting on our driveway patio.

Tuesday we woke up to rain. I woke at 4am to get the Traeger going for the brisket by 4:30 am. It will be so worth it in 11 hours though. I made a potato salad in the morning, so dinner would be ready when the brisket is done.

The Brisket cooked exactly 10 hours and after an hour resting ... delicious. Nice and juicy. An early dinner at 4 pm. :)




My Uncle Ken unexpectedly passed away on June 3rd. So sad for my family and my Aunt Norma. They had been married for 62 years. They always came and visited us where ever we moved to. Lots of memories. 

RIP Uncle Ken, you will be missed terribly.

The picture below is me at 1 years old. He was always in my life. I think this is when they had my Christening.

L to R Val Eves, Ken holding me, behind my Uncle Paul, my Mom Stella, Dad George and Jean Westaway.

Ken's favourite thing, fishing.

Steelhead Fishing, Yakoun River, Haida Gwaii

Uncle Ken, Grandson Connor and Kristi

Our Lakehouse

Touring Maple Bay

Walking the beach at Lakeview Park, next door.

Fishing at Morsby Camp, Haida Gwaii


Helping Ken set up camp.

Walking beach in Haida Gwaii

Catching fish from our campsite at MackTush, Port Alberni


Kenneth (Ken) McCormack

May 21, 1931 - June 3, 2024


Kenneth Peter McCormack passed away suddenly on Monday, June 3, 2024 at the age of 93.

He is predeceased by his brothers Duncan and George.

Ken is lovingly remembered and survived by his wife of 62 years Norma, son Gordon, daughter Pamela and four grandchildren Connor, Jackson, Nicole and Kendra. He will be greatly missed by many other extended family and friends.

A memorial service will be held at 1pm, Saturday, June 15th at the Kearney Funeral Chapel, 219 – 6th Street, New Westminster, BC. Please join us for a gathering and refreshments in the reception hall following the service.

Memorials may be made to the charity of your choice.



3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your uncle. Olaf is a moose, and he is not even full grown yet! And the little one looks like she is going to be quite the kayaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that Amelia was finally able to see her Papa! Sounds like you all had a great day.
    Our condolences on the passing of your uncle 😔

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you came to visit. Missed seeing your lovely faces. :)

    ReplyDelete