Sunrise on Avalon Bay, Catalina Island, CA

Sunrise on Avalon Bay, Catalina Island, CA

Tuesday 16 July 2019

The dock gets some new boards.

Monday started out pretty cloudy and remained that way for most of the day. It was warm and muggy out though. Ray headed out this morning to Nanaimo for a dental appointment and Freya and I stayed home. Hot tub time. lol Ray took a few pics of the waterfront while up there.

Really cool cherry tree bark.

Nanaimo Harbour

Port Theatre



This guy was playing the bagpipes outside the Bastion.



At 2pm the dock guys came to replace the cupping boards on the dock. About 1/3 of the wood planking has cupped since it was originally built last September. Awesome that Cliff stands behind his product and is fixing the problem.



We decided to go out to Jakes at the Lake for dinner ... 25% off for seniors on Monday. lol The sun finally broke out and it was a spectacular evening.



Tuesday morning was sunny. Today the Motorhome went back to Revy to get the 300 amp fuse replaced that we blew due to the power outage while camping at Cluxewe. We left it there for a couple of days so they could get everything ordered. Found out that they are closing down their location as per corporate and only will be operating out of Courtenay after August 31st ... bummer. Now we will have to find another RV place, probably Gregs RV in Duncan.

The dock guys came back for a bit, but there are so many boards cupping the job was stopped until Cliff rethinks what he is going to do about it.

Clouded up later in the afternoon and the rain began. Rained for the rest of the night into Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning still showery out. Not much happening here today other than we picked up the motorhome at 4:30 pm. A bunch of stuff is on backorder, ie toilet gasket and lid etc. so it will have to go back again. They did replace the 300 amp fuse and that solved the inverter problem as I suspected.

Thursday, cloudy with sunny periods. I went into Duncan to get some shopping done and a pedicure. Once back home Ray made me lunch ... thanks a bunch sweetie. By 2:30 Kristi arrived with her 2 dogs in tow to start her weeks holiday here at the lake. She has a bunch of appointments in Victoria for the next week so it is easier to stay here than go all the way back to Nanaimo every day and we love having her. Jason will come tomorrow. Of course I barbecued a prime rib for her ... A lovely afternoon and evening.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Kristi's picture ... yup she is relaxing. 
Friday woke up to sunny skies. Yeah. After making breakfast for Kristi, Ray and I, Kristi headed to Victoria and I headed to Duncan for a bit of shopping. Back at 12:30 Ray and I had lunch sitting outside.

While sitting outside on the deck around 1pm I had a bit of a freakout. A small baby brown bat landed on my arm like it was a butterfly!!!!!! Screamed and shook my arm and it fell to the floor. I scurried closing all our doors to prevent it flying up into our vaulted ceilings inside. Saw it crawling along the deck trying to hide, poor thing. When I came back out it was gone. We have had bats roosting in our house until last fall when they migrated and then all the holes were sealed. Also Ray screened in the front porch so they couldn't roost there anymore as well. We have not seen anymore evidence of them recently so imagine my surprise to have one land on me!!! Yikes. Picture below from google.

Image result for baby brown bat

Kristi arrived at about 1:30 and Jason about an hour after that. The whole crew is now here.

Freya takes all the toys, her stick and Athena's new ball.


Relaxing dock time.



For dinner tonight I barbecued a whole duck as it was Jason's request. Turned out quite well. An early night for us and after Kristi and Jason did the dishes with Ray's help for clearing, everyone retreated to their own spaces ...

Saturday morning everyone up by 6:30 am. Ray walked the 3 dogs and I got the coffee on. A cloudy start to the day. Being Saturday it was a coffee and Carolan's morning. lol A slow start. Kristi and Jason are expecting their friends this morning and we will be heading to Victoria for our friend Derek's Celebration of Life.

Derek would have wanted a party, so that's what we had, a backyard barbecue with mostly family attending. Derek was the fifth of seven siblings.


Displaying some of the pictures showing Derek's life.
 Our friend Laurel managed to put this wonderful party together with the help of her and Derek's family in spite of her loss.

RIP Derek
Ray and I headed back to the lake at 5:30 pm. Fortunately the traffic was much better coming home than it was earlier in the day heading to Victoria. Kristi, Jason and their company had just sat down to dinner when we arrived so Ray managed to get fed too! Thanks guys.

After dinner Kristi took her friends for a slow boat cruise on the lake as it was pretty windy out there so they were not gone very long.


We even had some people hold on to our dock as their boat quit on the lake in the wind. One girl ran back to the campsite and picked up a battery charger but it did not enable them to start the boat. Jason helped secure them to our dock and then our next door neighbour Roy, towed them back to the boat launch ... their fun was over!


Ray and I headed to bed quite early as my "plantar fasciitis" has returned in my left foot and is quite painful so I needed to get off of it and Ray's back had a long day. Also I think I caught a cold as my throat is sore ... must have forgot to sanitize a shopping cart a couple of days ago, which is usually the cause of catching a cold for me.

Sunday morning the sun is out but it is still windy on the lake. Kristi and Jason headed to Victoria for  a couple of days with Ray and I on dog duty. A quiet day for us as at present I can hardly walk with my foot and am coming down with a horrible chest cold. Yuck!

That was our week.


6 comments:

  1. All I can say is...I hate bats! Yuck!
    Sorry about your friend...looks like it was a lovely Celebration of Life.
    Great having Kristi and Jason stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck, I think I would have screamed as well if a bat landed on me! Great tribute to Derek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... now I am getting vaccinated against rabies! A 21 year old young man just died due to touching a bat 6 weeks ago in Nanaimo, an hour from where we live. More in the next blog. lol

      Delete
  3. Hope you shake that cold real quick, hate having a cough and trouble swallowing. Seems like a fairly quiet week and our sympathies on your friend Derek's passing. Hope the "big dogs" play nice while you're not feeling 100% and get Ray to make you some chicken soup ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hate being sick, I suspect from a shopping cart. I am usually religious about sanitizing the handle but last week there was no sanitizer left in the container ...

      Delete
  4. I hope the bats are keeping the mosquitoes down.
    A belated Happy Anniversary to you two. I'm way behind in reading blogs. :-(
    Hope you shake your cold. Enjoy the lake life!!

    ReplyDelete