Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Thursday 5 August 2021

Malcolm and Kathy come to visit. July 31 - Aug 2

Saturday morning at 6 am it was still 20C outside. Going to be another very hot day. Malc and Kathy are coming to spend a couple of days with us. It will be especially nice for them to get cool as it's quite hot in their trailer at Fort Victoria during these heat waves and their one a/c cannot keep up. I spent the morning prepping food for dinner tonight and marinating the ribs for tomorrow before their arrivial.

They were going to take us out for lunch at Jake's at the Lake but after seeing how busy it was in town yesterday, the amount of people in the river that launch from their parking lot, I decided I would just make our lunch. lol The Covid numbers are drastically increasing again with the Delta Variant and is spreading mostly among young unvaccinated people and the tubers all fit that age group! A lot of them in our Country Grocer, no masks and no distancing. Shopping will now be done at 8am. 

Driving over the bridge this is how busy it looked! This picture downloaded from google.

Malc and Kathy arrived at 11:15 am. Lovely to see them again. At noon we had chicken quesadillas for lunch as I had roasted a chicken on the barbecue last night and used the rest of it for this. After lunch we moved down onto the dock. It sprinkled for a bit this morning but by noon it had quit and was just cloudy and warm. By noon it was already 28C. Everyone had a few swims to stay cool. Quite muggy out.

Such a hard life eh Malc!

A little cooler than he thought. :)

Kathy got a little hot so thought she'd try out the lake temperature.


Ok, I will get my swimsuit on and get in.


At 4:30pm time to come up to the house and fire up the barbecue for the pork prime rib roast. Everyone also came up to keep me company and get "cool in the A/C". lol Dinner turned out great thankfully. Don't know why I try new recipes and then worry about it with company. lol

Everyone waiting for dinner to be served. Freya does not go on the couch usually anymore, but she remembers doing it with Kathy and Malc and asked in doggy language, by pointing with her nose, to put her blanket down so she could climb up.


Dinner is served, Barbecued Pork Prime Rib with stuffed pattypan squash. 


After dinner relaxation after a lovely dessert of a strawberry rhubarb pie and ice cream that Kathy brought. Yummy.





We had a glorious sunset tonight. What a fabulous day with great people.

Ray's picture

Malcolm's picture

Sunday we were up early, well us and Malcolm. lol Both Malc and Kathy went for an early swim at 8:30 am. It was already 25C outside.

Once everyone was dressed again it was time for Eggs Benedict for breakfast. When my kitchen crew finished cleaning up my mess, we took a 90 minute tour on the lake with our boat. A great adventure.


Off we go.

After running down the lake and touring the Youbou area we stopped in front of Gordon Bay Provincial Park on the Islets for a little leg stretch. The new Bimini top for the boat worked great. Loved that there was "shade" for me.


We now have the smoke haze here at the lake from the interior and/or from Washington. Fortunately not to thick.



Come here Kathy .... or I love you this much!

Back home we had burgers that I made on my new barbecue. See if you can get your mouth open big enough Kathy. lol

Again after cleanup my crew decided to have a nap so Ray and I went down to the dock. Once they got up, the rest of the afternoon was spend down on the dock while our ribs for dinner were smoking on my Traeger. Unfortunately the smoke came rolling in during the afternoon for the wildfires, so we called it at 4:30 and came up into the house for the rest of the evening. A great dinner with my baked beans, garlic bread and salad. My kitchen crew did an amazing job cleaning up my mess again. lol  

A quiet evening, we sat out on the deck for awhile but by 9:30 we all went to bed after a busy day on the lake.

Monday morning the smoke that arrived yesterday afternoon had mostly dissipated. Malc and Kathy wanted to leave early to beat the holiday Monday traffic back down to Victoria. I made scones for Kathy, Ray and I and sausage patties and eggs for Malcolm as he was having a gluten problem. Told him not to drink the beer. lol They were out the door by 8:30. Wow what a fast weekend. 

Ray and I spent the morning doing some chores, I gave Freya a bath. She was pretty smelly from swimming. After that I decided to harvest my potato bags, the heat has made the plants shut down so I harvested them a few weeks early. Got a pretty good haul. lol

The afternoon was spent swimming and chilling down at the dock. Temps were 30C again so it was the right place to be. :) Our neighbours have a new toy for their guests, a bucking bull. Too funny watching them all get "bucked off".


A great weekend.





2 comments:

  1. That river is crazy busy! Love those sunset pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great visit! The sunset pictures are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete