Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Glowing Wild Lantern Display, Redding CA

Friday 15 May 2020

Mother's Day week with warm spring days finally here.

Friday, May 9th

A glorious day with temps up to 23C today. Very breezy though with this high pressure ridge moving in.

Ray and I filled the planters with soil on the back deck and planted my pepper and tomato plants. He used his angle cutter to cut the bottoms off the plant pots and then I planted them directly into the new cedar planters. I found out last year that this process worked great as the pots the plants come in have the built in cage for stability already and you don't damage the branches trying to get them out of their pots.

We were short some soil so Ray headed into Duncan to pick more up and a few other things on his list. I busied myself freshening up all the pots in the garden in preparation for planting my geraniums tomorrow. The sundeck is now ready for summer.


My view from my Happy Place. :)



With it being Friday and such a nice day, the boat traffic was quite busy after 4pm with people getting outside and going to their summer houses. I think everyone is tired of being inside at home. Looks like people are out and about a week early from Dr. Henri's advice. When I was in at our Country Grocer early this morning they were talking about more precautions they will have to put in place for the May Long Weekend regarding social distancing as they are expecting to be much busier. This means I will be shopping at 8 am or earlier if I need anything for the next while and avoid the weekend entirely.

We managed to sit out on our deck for a couple of hours in the afternoon enjoying the day. We were both pretty sore though from our gardening activities. After dinner we had a hot tub to loosen up. So glad we have the tub.

Kat at 34 weeks.



Saturday, sunny and warm. Another glorious day, with the lake like glass. More gardening on the agenda today for me. Our gardener cut the lawn yesterday so Ray will top the areas with soil that he seeded to help keep the birds from eating all the grass seed. I will have to turn on the irrigation periodically to keep the seed wet to germinate.

All bedding plants potted today and Ray finished up on the lawn. Now we wait and see how everything does.

I will need to get back mask sewing as my "orders" are piling up. lol

We spent the afternoon on the sundeck in the shade as it was 25C out and it was hot in the sunshine. It would have been nice down on the dock but the neighbours on both sides were entertaining their families on their docks so we opted to stay on the deck. Plus after squatting and getting up and down  for 2 hours planting, my knees were done and the thought of more stairs had me staying put on the deck. :) Ray was pretty sore too and so was Freya ... what a family. lol

Sunday, May 10th

Happy Mother's Day to me. lol Another glorious day here. Perfect weather for enjoying the lake. Had a phone call with both Garrett and Kristi in the morning. Love hearing from them.

After cooking pancakes and sausage for Ray and I for breakfast, he scooted me out of the kitchen and took over cleanup. Had a bit of "oops" with the beater for the whipped cream!

It was on me, the floor, the counter and as far as the sink!

It was such a warm day at 28C. I spent the rest of the day down on the dock in the shade. Ray did a little weeding in the rock garden and then went for a quick dip in the lake .... burrr, the lake temp is currently 52F.

Warming up after his dip.

As I sat reading and relaxing, Ray spoiled me all day by bringing me my lunch and beverages all afternoon. A great "cabana boy". lol Dinner was leftovers so I didn't have to make supper either. A wonderful Mother's Day other than not seeing my kids. Lots of kayakers on the lake today.

Monday, May 11th

Woke up to the sound of a plane flying low over the town. Apparently they are gypsy moth spraying for the next couple of days.

A cloudy start to the day. This is supposed to be the last nice day as we head into rain tonight for the next few days. Update .... it started sprinkling at 10 am so no last nice day. lol Instead laundry day. :)

Did a little sewing and sent off Steve and Dianne's masks. I made a quick run into Duncan in the afternoon to pick up Freya's antibiotics from the Vet. She does have another anal gland infection so here we go again. Freya will have another checkup in 10 days from now.

Tuesday. Rained all night and we actually slept in listening to the rain on the roof. Even Freya had no desire to get up. By 7:30 it was just drizzling. Good for the reseeded areas of the lawn and the flower beds. Still quite warm outside at 11C. If the wind stays down Ray and I should be able to sit outside under the gazebo for awhile this afternoon.

Ray worked on two planter "lifts" for me for the sundeck.



While he was busy making the lifts, for lunch I made us individual Beef Pot Pie from some of the prime rib. Delicious.



While sitting at the table I could not believe my eyes. Looked like 2 men in a bathtub size boat towing this huge log down the lake.


Around 1:30 pm it turned out sunny for an hour or so, so we actually managed to sit outside in the front and enjoy the view of our flowers.


Spring flowers, trillium, is blooming over at the park. There are carpets of them hidden under the trees.



Today Ray is taking the car in for 2 new front tires....we noticed they are getting shredded, probably from towing. Dave at OK Tire, has never seen tires deteriorate that way. Anyways new rubber is going on today. I don't want to have a flat tire coming and going the 26 km into Duncan.  While waiting for the tire install, Ray went for a walk on this little trail a block from OK Tire.






Garrett texted me at 4pm. Kat was admitted to Lions Gate Hospital at 4pm. She will be induced to have baby Stella tomorrow afternoon. I guess her blood pressure was still too high so they will induce the baby. Apparently this could take a couple of days before she goes into labour. We will be patiently waiting for news.

Wednesday morning woke up to clouds and some wind. It rained all night but was trying to clear at 6:30 am. Still forecasted for a showery day. Quite warm out at 13C.

Ray worked  on a couple of planters for Kristi today and I was making some more masks for her office. Rained on and off all day. We tried sitting on the deck under the gazebo for awhile but the wind and rain came up again, so back inside after only 10 minutes. lol For dinner Ray went and bought some chicken wings from the store so I could make a "pub style" dinner as we are not eating out. Wings, dip and some veg.


Thursday morning the sun is actually out. Not forecasted to last though. Kat was not induced last night as there were too many other mom's in labour. Apparently they only have staff for 2 birthing rooms at a time! So hopefully today she will be induced before her high blood pressure causes her damage.

Kat waiting to be induced Wednesday night.

Ray back downstairs in his shop and I did my usual morning chores. I also spent my time today keeping an ear out for my phone and updates on Kat.

Because I was bored I made some Thai spring rolls for dinner with spicy peanut sauce.

Ray here, I like it when she gets bored!!!!

News from Garrett at dinner time is that they were going to go with a C-Section tonight. Kat's kidneys were under stress so Baby time!





1 comment:

  1. Your yard and deck look beautiful! Good job! And that view of the lake...can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete